The book emphasises the pleasures of listening to New Zealand music — introducing and providing follow-up activity material on:
Māori and Pākehā
Waiata Poi Alfred Hill
Arohaina Mai Tuini Ngāwai
Ambush Free improvisation
Just Like You TrinityRoots
Envy of Angels The Mutton Birds
Meeting of the Waters Mike Nock
Drysdale Overture Douglas Lilburn
Taranaki Overture Larry Pruden
From the Depths Sound the Great Sea Gongs Gareth Farr
Soundscape with Lake and River Douglas Lilburn
Horizont im Ohr Dugal McKinnon
Speak Volumes Miriama Young
- For senior high school students, undergraduates, and interested lay people.
- Presented in plain language, with illustrations.
- Emphasis on learning the pleasures of listening to
New Zealand music.
- Examines a variety of different pieces.
- An accompanying CD, featuring ten of the pieces discussed.